About the Drills
It is important that everyone, everywhere, know how to protect themselves in an earthquake. Even if earthquakes are rare where you live, they may happen where you or
your family travel. The Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center is proud to participate—along with the Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and our Federal family—in Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills, an annual opportunity for people in homes, schools, and organizations
to practice what to do during earthquakes and to improve preparedness. ShakeOut encourages schools, school districts, state education agencies (SEAs), institutions
of higher education (IHEs), and community partners to learn what to do before, during, and after an earthquake and to practice “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” every third
Thursday of October. The 2017 ShakeOut will be held at 10:19 a.m. on October 19, 2017, in each of the following Official ShakeOut Regions:
- New Mexico
- Central U.S. (AL, AR, IL, IN, KS, KY, MO, MS, OH, OK, TN)
- Northeast U.S. (CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT)
- Southeast U.S. (DC, DE, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV)
- American Samoa
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
Participate Through ShakeOut
- Register your school, school district, SEA, or IHE to participate in one
of the Official ShakeOut Regions and receive email updates. Registration totals from Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills across the United States are also
included in America’s PrepareAthon! participation totals.
- Download resources, including audio and video broadcasts, manuals, posters, custom flyers,
and web banners, to spread the word about Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills and prepare for an earthquake.
- Practice "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" during Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills and what your
school, school district, SEA, or IHE will do after the shaking stops.
Participate Through the REMS TA Center
- Listen to and share a podcast we hosted with Mark Benthien, Director of Communication, Education and Outreach for the Southern California Earthquake Center at USC and Global Coordinator of Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills
on ShakeOut and earthquake preparedness for schools. Get the transcript here:
- Share how your school, school district, SEA, or IHE plans to participate in ShakeOut via the Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills forum on our Community of Practice.
- Request a FREE training for delivery on site on a variety of emergency management topics, including Earthquake Preparedness for Schools.
- Collaborate with colleagues and subject matter experts to discuss trends and ideas and enhance your emergency
operations planning and earthquake preparedness.
- Conduct tabletop exercises with leaders and managers to practice your emergency operations plan (EOP) and Earthquake Annex.
- Assess your knowledge of concepts fundamental to emergency management and creating and evaluating EOPs.
- Evaluate your existing EOP against Federal recommendations in emergency management planning.
- Develop and revise your school EOP using the recommended Federal planning process.
Twitter: @ShakeOut follow the conversation #ShakeOut
Instagram: @greatshakeout follow the conversation #ShakeOut
Listen to a podcast with the REMS TA Center and Mark Benthien, Global Coordinator for the Great Earthquake ShakeOut Drills.