About the Drills
It is important that everyone, everywhere, know how to protect themselves in an earthquake. Even if earthquakes are rare where you live, they may happen where you or
your family travel. The REMS TA Center is proud to participate—along with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and our Federal family—in the Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills (ShakeOut), an annual opportunity for people in homes, schools, and organizations to practice what to do during earthquakes and to improve preparedness. ShakeOut encourages schools, school districts, state education agencies (SEAs), institutions of higher education (IHEs), and community partners to learn what to do before, during, and after an earthquake and to practice “Drop, Cover, and Hold On” every third Thursday of October. The 2019 ShakeOut will be held at 10:17 a.m. on October 17, 2019, in each of the following ShakeOut regions:
- American Samoa
- New Mexico
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- Central U.S. (AL, AR, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MO, MS, NE, OH, OK, TN)
- NorthEast (CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT)
- SouthEast (DC, DE, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV)
- Upper MidWest (MI, MN, ND, SD, WI)
Participate Through ShakeOut
- Register your school, school district, SEA, or IHE to participate in one
of the ShakeOut regions and receive email updates.
- Download resources, including audio and video broadcasts, manuals, posters, custom flyers,
and web banners, to spread the word about ShakeOut and prepare for an earthquake.
- Practice "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" during ShakeOut and what your
school, school district, SEA, or IHE will do after the shaking stops.
Participate Through the REMS TA Center
- Listen to and share a podcast we hosted with Mark Benthien, Director of Communication, Education and Outreach for the Southern California Earthquake Center at USC and Global Coordinator of ShakeOut, on ShakeOut and earthquake preparedness for schools. Read the Earthquake Exercises for Schools Podcast Transcript.
- Share how your school, school district, SEA, or IHE plans to participate in ShakeOut via the Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills forum on our Community of Practice.
- Request a FREE training for delivery on site on a variety of emergency management topics, including Earthquake Preparedness for Schools.
- Collaborate with colleagues and subject matter experts to discuss trends and ideas and enhance your emergency
operations planning and earthquake preparedness.
- Conduct tabletop exercises with leaders and managers to practice your emergency operations plan (EOP) and Earthquake Annex.
- Assess your knowledge of concepts fundamental to emergency management planning by using EOP ASSESS.
- Evaluate your existing EOP against Federal recommendations in emergency management planning by using EOP EVALUATE.
- Develop and revise your school EOP using the REMS TA Center’s FREE software application, EOP ASSIST.
Twitter: @ShakeOut follow the conversation #ShakeOut
Instagram: @greatshakeout follow the conversation #ShakeOut
Listen to a podcast with the REMS TA Center and Mark Benthien, Global Coordinator for the Great Earthquake ShakeOut Drills.